Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My trainer killed me yesterday and a supplement experiment...

Wednesday is traditionally my day off from training.   I "sleep in" during the morning - usually until 4:30 a.m.!  I don't do any harsh work outs on Wednesday and usually opt for 30 minutes in the pool or a sneak down to the steam room at lunch.  After pounding it out hard for 6 days, my body usually tells me to grab a day to recover. 

Today is no exception...and the main reason is the 115 lb, 5 foot tall Pilates instructor I train with!  She put a big time smack down on me yesterday.  JT trains both myself and my wife a few hours a week.  My wife goes for the Pilates help.   Me for core strength, flexibility and as is the case the last few weeks...rehab work. 

We usually compare notes on our workouts afterwards. 

"Christine, JT totally kicked my ass today!!!   I can no longer move my (insert whatever body part here)."   is usually how our conversation starts.

"How so today?"  Christine asks.

"Well first, she had me take my right leg and bend it backwards around my neck.  After I got that move, she handed me 50 lb dumbells for each hand and then had me hop on the other leg while waving my arms like I am swimming.  After I mastered the behind the neck, dumb bell slicing arm hop, she had me start the whole sequence with a backwards lunge squat with an ab twist.     And, that was just the warm up!!!!  She made it harder after that".

My lovely, sympathetic wife usually responds with..."Oh yeah, she had me do that to, but she made me stand on one of the green balls they have there while I did it". 

"Ooooo...wow!"

JT is effervesciently cheerful as she inflicts enough pain on me for entire week in about an hour.  Even as she is tapping my shoulder blades and calling out "SQUEEEEEEZE Ed!!!!!"  there is this diabolical grin on her face and red shine in her eyes. 



I can run 50 miles right now and be ready to do it again tomorrow...yet after an hour with JT, I usually feel like I got beat up and left for dead in a dumpster.   I am glad I am "off" today.  She killed me yesterday.

Supplement experiment....

I am going to experiment with a new supplement.  The marketing in several magazines like Bicycling, Runner's World, Triathlete Magazine and Lava finally penetrated my pea sized brain and I am going to try
According to the hype, I will be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, become faster than a speeding bullet, stronger than a locomotive and all of that.  According to the marketing these little red capsules will....

Improve the body's ability to adapt to high levels of physical stress

Help utilize oxygen more efficiently

Increase anaerobic threshold & Reduce lactic acid

Supposedly, Alberto Contador winner of this years Tour De France and dozens of other professional athletes endorse Optygen.  I can normally resist advertisements like this, but decided to plop down the $60 for 30 days worth.  I will let you know how it goes.  If you see me flying with my arms out ala Superman, you will know they worked! 
 
 
 
 
 
E

No comments:

Post a Comment